Pages

Monday, February 15, 2010

N-Duro series final: Mission accomplished

... so phase one of Team N-Duro's 2010 season is complete, and after Sunday's 3rd and final round of the Bike Vegas Summer N-Duro series, I once again secured the overall and retained my "King of the Series" title to ensure it's been a good start to the year.

It was also suggested that I should have won it...... After all I set the courses. I obviously didn'y do a very good job as this is where I point out that I also didn't manage to win a race and secured the title with three straight 2nds. The bridesmaid strikes again. Frustrating, but in the circumstances I'll take it!

The unique feature of the N-Duro series is that the title is based on cumulative time, which means you can't afford to take it easy at any time. It encourages aggressive racing which can only be good. Fronting up on Sunday I was in for a tough day with Stu Houltham and Mikey Northcott for company, and a tough race certainly followed.

I tried to be conservative, but with Mikey and Stu pushing each other super hard it become a very tough day. I soon found myself struggling to hang on on the ups, and hanging it out on the descents to regain touch utilising the suburb traction (?!) of the Ravens on the slick surface. The race see-sawed a bit until Mikey eventually got away for good up hill road with about 20km to go.

I thought I had it under control, but chasing hard down chesnut link I promptly rode straight into a tree at high speed. Smartly I used the handlebar to stop and while that bent, my face stayed intact. I was a bit sheepish for the rest of the descent but soon got my act together when I realised Mikey had flown the coup. Digging deep I chased hard all the way back and managed to limit the losses to just 58sec at the end. Taking the series by a mere 3min (over 6hrs racing with Mikey). Stu battled hard to chase us home for a great 3rd on tracks not so familiar to his prefered wellington terrain.

I am super stoked that a) I proved to myself I can still foot it with the best of the best in NZ (maybe better than ever before). and that b) I'm going to get to watch a great battle between these two and others at the National Champs in Wellington in two weeks while I relax on the sidelines.

And Nic? She grudgingly sat out Sundays race. Her wrist injury sustained at Tokoroa was a bit worse than first thought. So is off the MTB for a wee bit to ensure she's right for Wellington. Training hard on the wind trainer....and getting a wee bit frustrated!

No comments: